We understand that the Covid-19 pandemic has changed the way that Counselling Therapy is offered. Here’s some of our most frequent questions asked.
Can a therapist outside of Nova Scotia provide therapy to a resident of Nova Scotia?
Individuals outside of the province are not barred from providing counselling to individuals in Nova Scotia, as long as this is permitted by their own regulator. However, you should be aware of the following:
- They are not entitled to use Nova Scotia title (RCT-C or RCT) unless licensed here
- They should advise the client where they are located and who their regulator is, in case any issues arise and they need to seek recourse
- They should confirm with their liability insurance provider that they will cover this
- If you are using a videoconferencing platform, our policy would require that it be PIPEDA compliant and that the servers be located in Canada
This applies regardless of the profession of the individual. Counselling is not a “controlled act” in Nova Scotia – the College here provides title protection.
Would it be possible for me to provide Counselling Therapy outside of NS as a licensee of NSCCT?
Our rules would permit with on the following conditions:
- Advise your clients where you are located and who your regulator is, in case any issues arise and they need to seek recourse.
- Confirm with your liability insurance provider that they will cover this.
- If you are using a videoconferencing platform, our policy requires that it be PIPEDA compliant and that the servers be located in Canada.
- If you are a RCT-C, confirm with your Candidacy Supervisor that they are willing to supervise under these circumstances.
- You must confirm with the regulator of where the client is located (if applicable), that this is permissible under their rules. Here is a list of all regulated provinces (external link).
Can I apply for RCT-C status digitally, due to Covid-19?
Yes, you may remit everything via email. Your educational institution can remit official transcripts electronically, please provide the email firstname.lastname@example.org as the contact. You can scan everything else. This will ensure your application is complete for the Registration Committee. We will require official copies to be mailed no later than 2 months after your application is received in full.
What are the latest guidelines?
These are available here.
Can licensed RCT’s or RCT-C’s have the Professional Development requirement of 12 CEC’s be waived for 2021 Registrant Renewal?
Unfortunately, no. NSCCT requires professional development to ensure the integrity of the profession. Several resources are available digitally and can be accessed through CCPA, click here for a direct link. Do not forget to order your transcript from CCPA (required for renewal) well in advance of the last date of renewal, March 31st, 2021. We recommend doing this by mid-February to ensure you have a copy on time for renewal.