Registered Counselling Therapist-Candidate Application Form (Form 1)
This form is the foundation of your application. It will take time to finish the tasks and order the documents needed. Remember to:
- Order and pay for a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector check through the Halifax Regional Police or the Nova Scotia RCMP.
- Find a qualified supervisor who agrees to supervise you during your candidacy. Your proposed supervisor must provide their information and a signature on the form. See the guidelines below for finding a qualified supervisor.
- Read the Graduate Course Descriptions document to determine how to note your graduate level courses on the form.
- Read the instructions on the form and include, if necessary, an official copy of your English language proficiency test.
- Send a $110 non-refundable fee with your application using a cheque or money order.
If you earned your counselling degree outside of Canada, read Applicants Coming from a Licensure Jurisdiction Outside of Canada and contact the NSCCT Registrar, making sure to mention the name of the degree you earned, and the location and country of the academic institution you attended. The Registrar will be able to tell you what other steps you might need to take to apply to the College to become a registered member.
Practicum Description for RCT-C Application Form (Form 2)
This form helps NSCCT determine if, during your master’s level counselling degree, you took part in a practicum that meets the 120 hours of Counselling Therapy practice needed to become a candidate with the college. If you didn’t take part in a practicum or if your practicum hours are less than 120 hours, read Applicants Who Need to Supplement Their Placement Hours. Remember to:
- Ask your professor or practicum supervisor to review, sign the form, and send it themselves to NSCCT.
- Follow the instructions for finishing the form if your professor or practicum supervisor is not available.
Professional Reference Form (Form 3)
This form provides NSCCT with an account of your counselling skills and competencies, based on the professional opinion of two references. Clinical supervisors or counsellor educators who know you and who are in a non-compliant relationship with you can fill out the form. Remember to:
- Ask two references to print and fill out the form and send it themselves to NSCCT. The College needs to receive two references to process your application.
Graduate Degrees Obtained in Canada Form (Form 4)
If you hold a license in another regulated province or territory, add this form to your application. This form helps NSCCT determine whether your education and background meet the licensing criteria to become a registered member with the college.
Graduate Degrees Obtained Outside of Canada (Form 5)
If you earned your master’s level degree in counselling outside of Canada, fill out the form and add it to your application. Remember to:
- Check the instructions on the form to see if you need to contact World Education Services (WES). WES provides a service for applicants to gauge the equivalency their academic degree with other academic degrees in Canada that NSCCT accepts. If you need to take this step, you will need to pay a fee for WES to send an ICAP report to the college.
Application for Transfer of License to Nova Scotia under the Canadian Fair Trade Agreement Form
If you hold a licence in another regulated province or territory, add this form to your application. This form helps NSCCT determine whether your education and background meet the licensing criteria to become a registered member with the college. Remember to:
- Gather or order the documents needed
- Send a $110 non-refundable fee with your application using a cheque or money order